Monday, February 16, 2015

GLOWING REVIEW of QUEEN OF SOMEDAY by SHERRY FICKLIN


Yes, another glowing review from me.
Why does pretty much every book I review on my blog get 5 stars?

Let me explain:
1) I love to read, really love to read.
2) I love to talk about books that I love.
3) I was taught (weren't we all?) that "if I can't say something nice..."

Therefore, my 5 stars ratings will be posted here.
My 4 stars will remain on Goodreads, along with a few 3 stars.
Anything less, and I'll try to keep my mouth shut.




Just finished reading QUEEN OF SOMEDAY by Sherry Ficklin last weekend.
This was a really well written, engaging read.
In fact, I was surprised to find any negative reviews on Goodreads,
but "you can't please everybody", right?
And, just for your information,
this is a FICTION book-
NOT a history book.
Good grief, it's as if some people can't tell the difference.
Wow.




This is the first book I've read by the author, but it won't be the last.

And back to the book...
Sophie (the future Queen Catherine) is a fabulous main character.
She's smart, clever, and resourceful.
She's also flawed, can be petty (but not for long), and makes mistakes.
After all, she's just a teen when she travels to Russia to meet her future husband.

Many people talk about all the handsome men surrounding Sophie,
but I think this book is more about the women.
For example, the Empress. who Sophie must please.
The Empress, who's desperate for an heir.
I immediately pictured Judi Dench as the Empress,
but since she'd be more the age now of the Prince's grandmother
than his domineering mother,
I guess I mean the Judi Dench of Room with a View.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that movie.


Here's Judi in the carriage, sitting on the right, looking nosy.
She's an author in this movie, so she has to be nosy, always seeking out a new plot,
some new intrigue.


Here she sits, scheming at the table.


So she'd need to be that age, but dressed
more like this.



No one else could do the character of the Empress justice,
but they could try. 

Of course, this book is also about romance.


Yes, yes, more Room with a View,
but who could forget that kiss?


And the quest for a crown.



And the transition from child to woman,
a rather painful transition for poor Sophie, I'm afraid.

Just read the book.
I don't want to say any more, 
because I hate spoilers.

Instead I'll leave you with some romantic words.
Not mine, because I may be many things,
but "romantic" isn't one of them.
At least not on a Monday.


My favorite quote from the book:

 "No matter how many romantic poems you recite,
no matter how many glorious tales of love you read,
how can you really understand the condition
if you've never found yourself in it?" 

4 comments:

  1. looks like a good book! Im the same way like i love to read and I've never read a book that was completely terrible lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it.
      Now I'm reading "to all the boys I've loved before", and it's so super cute. I love the voice.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore this author and love her books including this one. Isn't the cover gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The cover is truly gorgeous. I want to read her Losing Logan as well. (And, of course, the second book in this series once it comes out)

      Delete