Wednesday, December 17, 2014

REVIEW of HEART OF A DOVE by ABBIE WILLIAMS

I obtained this book from Abbie Williams herself (she even signed it) at the library author function I attended last month. I don't read much romantic literature, but have been eager to break out of my same-old, same-old YA dystopian/urban fantasy/paranormal mold.

I needed something new and different.
I got it. :)






Here's the official Goodreads book blurb:

The Civil War has ended, leaving the country with a gaping wound. Lorie Blake, a southern orphan sold into prostitution at fifteen, has carefully guarded her aching soul from the disgrace forced upon her every evening. Two years have passed, leaving her with little hope of anything more. Meanwhile, three men – longtime friends – and a young boy with a heart of gold are traveling northward, planning to rebuild their lives in the north and leave behind the horrors of their time as soldiers in the Confederate Army.

Fate, however, has plans of its own, causing their lives to collide in a river town whorehouse. Forced to flee, Lorie escapes and joins them on the journey north. But danger stalks them all in the form of a vindictive whorehouse madam and an ex-Union soldier, insane and bent on exacting revenge. At last, Lorie must come to terms with her past and devastating secrets that she cannot yet bear to reveal.

Heart of a Dove is the first book in a gripping, sweeping romantic saga of pain, unbearable choices, loss and true love set against the backdrop of a scarred, post-Civil War America.



Here's my review:

Fabulous. Lovely.
5 stars. I'm very, very impressed.
Just finished the book, and looking forward to book two.

Just where is Abbie Williams going to take this?

Historical Aspects:


This was my favorite part. I loved the details about the era, about the Civil War, and especially (perhaps this is wrong of me) the brothel. I found this fascinating. Abbie Williams did a fabulous job "bringing history to life" regarding aspects I had never before even considered.






Romantic Aspects:


First off, let me inform you that I am in the top ten percentile of the LEAST ROMANTIC PEOPLE on the planet. I typically don't even read in the romance genre. Maybe there's something wrong with me. I don't even like getting flowers--reminds me of funerals. And some songs make me gag ("You Were Always On my Mind" being one of them).






While reading this, I felt a bit like the little boy in THE PRINCESS BRIDE (LOVE that movie), because I skimmed the kissing parts. But that didn't take away from my overall utter enjoyment of this book. If all historical romances were so adept at painlessly giving me a history lesson, I'd read them by the cartload.


This kid was so cute. Now I have to rewatch THE WONDER YEARS.



What I loved were the characters, the setting, the SUNSETS even.





Just the thought of being out on the prairie, never seeing a city.
The sky stretching out ahead of you.







 THAT'S what I think is romantic.




The escape. The adventure. The hardship on the trail.
Perhaps this is what I'm missing in my somewhat sheltered life.
Not that I'm complaining.
It's awfully nice to have a functional INDOOR bathroom at my disposal. :)

Cheers!
You won't even guess what I'm reading next--unless you befriend me on Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment